Favorite Photos

Thursday, July 28

Is there anyone you don't know

     I remember the first time I came down with Javi to his home town as we drove around or took a walk through the neighborhood everyone that we passed by greeted him, it was kind of weird to me. I just kept thinking how do you know all these people. In the states you might know a couple neighbors and say hi but I would never greet everyone in the whole town. All these people have known him since he was little and  they remember him even though they have not seen eachother in at least 8 years. That is the thing about Mexico though, the culture is soo different. Everyone that I have met is so nice and welcoming even though my spanish is not that great. Everyday I am greeted with a Buenas dias, tardes or noches by people just walking down the street. It is actually kind of  refreshing.
    I learned that Javi used to ride his bike around the neighborhood and deliver items from the store to peoples homes and he used to do construction with his dad working in different neighborhoods so that is how he met so many people. It took awhile to get used to this everyday, I mean it is not a bad thing I actually enjoy it now. It made it easier that a lot of these people are actually apart of his family. I swear there is a cousin, uncle or aunt on every street. On his moms side there are 9 brothers and sisters and on his dad's there is another 9. Most of his family is here in Mexico, I believe about five live in the states.
   Living close to family can be a great thing but it can also be a pain the butt. At times when we feel like taking a walk we avoid certain streets because we don't want to get caught up in the chisme for hours. Because it is a small town and everyone knows eachother news travels very fast. It travels even faster when we bring  my suegra with us. I have actually never met anyone who talks as much as she does. When I met Javier I was surprised for how much he talked, it was ok though because I am the exact opposite. I was soo wrong for thinking that he talked more than anyone I knew. Even if there are people in town that Javi does not know or they dont recognize him all he has to mention is that he is the son of La Guera. Lets just say there is almost never a dull or quiet moment living here.

6 comments:

Moving to Nayarit/Mazatlan said...

You are right Lisa everyone knows each other and everyone knows what happened the day before at someones party or dance on the weekends.

One Small Voz said...

Sounds about the same when my husband's in his hometown - he knows everyone. And my suegra sounds the same, talks nonstop and knows all the gossip. It's ok, but being a somewhat private person, I wouldn't want to live around it 24/7. You are right, it is never "dull". :-)

Barb said...

I work with a girl like that. The other day I asked her if there was anyone she didn't know and she said no...lol.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh yes! My husband is like this. He knows EVERYONE in Cancun, mainly because he's just such a social guy with social parents.

I'm used to it though. My dad's always been the same way. :)

Unknown said...

Angie, Right. I went to bed last night and everything was fine. My suegra comes out of her room in the morning and has all kinds of gossip. I mean where did it come from?

Leah, I am somewhat private too. I open up to close friends and family, but I dont need the whole town knowing my business.

Barb, thats too funny. I would not enjoy being that person that everyone knows.

Laura, My dad is the total opposite. Very quiet guy other than being with close friends and family. But Javi will talk to anyone just like your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my husbands actual home town and plus about 4 other towns near there!

This is Stephanie again problems with the Blogger. Who knows?