Favorite Photos

Friday, July 15

Doctors Visits

Go to fullsize image
Javier injured his hand two weeks ago at work and was able to get disability but it has been a little bit of a nightmare getting things done. Javier is not really good at paperwork and dealing with situations where we dont really know what to do, so he drags me along thinking what, maybe I know the answer. Here in Mexico there seems to be no one in the medical field that can really give you a straight answer. I have been lucky enough to read up (thank you all my fellow bloggers) and be a little more prepared for what to expect.
We went to the seguro here and the urgent care finally decided that with Javiers insurance from work we had to go  40 min away to see the doctor there. Really? We drive over and the whole place is a huge un-organized mess. There was a wait to be seen just for the exam, then another to go get an x-ray, then more waiting to actually see someone for diagnosis (sprain/ twisted thumb). Luckily I brought my kindle with me to keep Javiers mind busy, he is so not patient enough for well, anything. After we finally saw the doctor they told him he had to keep his arm bandaged up for two weeks and then return to see if it is healing right.
Go to fullsize image
The next day we go back to the seguro because his work wants paperwork and the x-ray saying that he actually does not have to work and all the papers signed by the doctor. They make him wait a couple days for that paperwork and say come back in a couple more for the rest. Of course. The two weeks passed and not quickly I might add because as it was wonderful having Javier home with me, as I mentioned he is not very patient and he gets bored easily. It was his right hand that was injured so it was quite amusing, for me anyway, to watch him try and do normal every day activities with his left hand. He tried to soak up the nursing for the first couple days then I made him start doing things by himself or it was going to be a very long healing process for Me!   We made it through the weeks and took another 40 min drive to take off the bandage. As we were waiting I mentioned to Javi that he didnt have his x-ray with him. Um wasn't the doctor going to need it? He says no they dont need it, because well he knows everything. I let it go until he finally gets seen and the doctor yells at him and says he is wasting his time, how could he tell if it was healing right if he did not have the x-ray. The doctor actually asked him if he hung it up at home as a souvinier. Oh crap! After waiting all morning this was surely not going to put javi in a better mood.
Go to fullsize image

Let me just say Javier is not the type to be pushed around by anyone, after having a few words of his own we were off to get another x-ray. I saved my "I told you soos" because well I know better than to make him even more mad. The doctor finally removed the bandage, examined the x-ray and told him to wait another week and start exercising his hand. As Javier walked out the door the doctor was so much nicer and wished us a good day and safe travels. Now only one more week of healing time! I will just pray for patience for the both of us.

6 comments:

One Small Voz said...

I've never had seguro here, but I've heard tales similar to yours. Unfortunately the private sector is littered with incompetent docs, as well as a few really good docs, so it's like meandering through a maze to get a good outcome. Best of luck to you and your hubby!

Unknown said...

Gracias Leah.I hope eventually we find a good one.

Krystal L. said...

Yes, the medical options are the definitely second only to the driving! Leah just found an awesome doctor in Xalapa which is a two hour drive from us but if it's serious, I don't mind making the trip for quality care. Mexico City is 2 hours away as well but we'd be starting from scratch and I really want to avoid the big city. I hope Javier is healing up nicely and shortly out of your hair!

Krystal

Anonymous said...

We've never seen a real doctor here but Salvador "self-diagnosed" himself with some stomach ailment and then the medicine he got at the similares made it MUCH worse. It is kind of cool that you are given the option to guess before having to go in for a full work-up. Hoping Javi is back to normal soon!

Living South of Sanity said...

Sounds like IMSS. My husband broke 2 fingers on his right hand when he was working at a factory here, and the doctors visits were a nightmare. The only saving grace was that we weren't paying, but the up at 3 AM to get there to wait and then see someone and go somewhere else to wait some more was crazy. The bedside manner of some were horrible! It seems like each doctor wants their own thing, and while for some they wouldn't have wanted the X-ray, others would. I hope he is doing better and will soon be able to put this doctor craziness behind him.

Unknown said...

Krystal, I have to agree. Javier made me drive around for a little bit yesterday and I did not like it one bit. I would not mind the trip either if you knew you would be takin care of by a good doctor.

Cheryl, Javi's family tends to do this also. If none of their remidies work then you have to go in and see if someone else can figure it out. Yes Javi is on the road to recovery. Lol.

South of Sanity, Yes you are correct I had forgotten to include the name but it was IMSS. It was definetly a mess there but I hope we are done with all that for awhile.