Javier has been back in his home town for awhile now and it is such a small place he is having trouble finding work. He is not the type to just sit around and watch t.v. all day, this man always has to be doing something. Most of the time I'm the one trying to get him to sit and watch a movie with me and relax a little. I feel so bad for him, every time I talk to him I can tell he is trying to stay positive because that is how he always looks at life, but he is having a realy hard time. The town we are in is not very big and well lets just say Javier has two large tattoos on his upper arms and thinks that he is not getting some of the jobs because of them. I feel so helpless because I don't know what to tell him. I have not been in Mexico long enough to figure out how things work and which is the best way to go here. I hate to see him like this and it makes it even harder that we are not together right now. He has his family but he does not like to burden them with our problems.
I believe we are already putting a bigger burden on them than we would like to. We are living in a spare bedroom in his parents house right now and trying to help out as much as we can. Javier's parents own a small store that is attached to their house like most other businesses there and he tries to help them out as much as possible, making deliveries, picking up supplies, or making food. While I was there I tried to help his mom out as much as I could too, cleaning, cooking, washing clothes, and making sweets for the store. We feel really bad because we are basically living off his parents at the moment.
The only thing I can think for us to do right now is, if he finds something we can try and save money to be able to move the the next biggest city to us which is Guadalajara. It is about and hour and a half from where we are now so it is not close enough for him to be driving back and forth every day for work but it might be an option in the future. I think he would have much better luck trying to find a job there especially because he speaks English really well. I think it would be the best option for both of us in the future, it would probably be the closest thing to living in the states for us.
Right now things are not looking to good but I am just trying to have faith and hope things work out one way or the other. We are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place but I'm hoping god has a plan for us especially since I will be going back to Mexico in three more weeks. I am so excited to be going back but feel like I am leaving one problem here in the states and just walking right into another.

10 comments:
What kind of a store do his parents run? We opened up a store in a tiny town 6000 and we are making about 8000-9000 pesos a month before costs and about half of that is profit. Can you load up a bunch of new clothes in your suitcases and take them down?
Krystal I wish it was that kind of store. Sounds like more fun. Actually it is just an Abarrotes. Food, snacks, refrescos, beer. His mom and I make flan, ice cream, and suvananas for the store. I actually sent some pans so that I could make baked goods to sell too.
sorry to hear that things aren't working out so well. Make sure he covers up, small towns are VERY CONSERVATIVE. Guadalajara has alot of jobs for people that speak english fluently...some of which are english teachers or working at the telecommunications centers... all that pay starting at about 8-9k a month. It's a start!
@ Refried Dreamer Thanks. I will definetly let Javier know about those kinds of jobs it is absolutley a great start and I am sure at this point he is going to take anything he can get good or not. If anything it will keep his mind busy and give him a little confidence back.
Lisa, I have a sister-in-law that lives in La Barca, but I've never been there. In GDL, there are a lot of opportunities and you already have blogger friends here...Melissa, Amanda, and Me! :) Check out this web page www.computrabajo.com.mx That's where I found my job. It would help you guys if you had jobs to come to. Check out Craig's List too. www.craigslist.com Good luck and keep us posted.
Thaks Jackie. I will let Javier know about the websites. I think he is a little scared or apprehensive because he has no other past jobs in mexico that he could put on a resume. He left when he was 18 and was in the states working up until last year, but he has to start somewhere right? That would be so nice to be in a big city and be able to hang out with all you girls. Someone to talk to in person besides my doggies. LOL
Lisa, yes, you're right. Your Javier is probably worried about no previous job experience here in Mexico, but tell him that that's okay. He can include the job(s) from the States. The fact that he speaks English will open a lot of doors for him. You guys can also check out Vallarta. The only bad thing about Vallarta is having to live with "high season" and "low season."
Really? I did not know he could use the jobs from the states. I dont think he realizes that either. It might make him feel a little better about things. Vallarta sounds nice but I think if there was any way possible I would like to be in GDL because it is closer to his family but we will have to do what we have to. Thanks for all the advice Jackie I really aprreciate it.
Very sad to hear things are tough right now. I fear I am close to your situation in that once I leave here and move down to Mex with my husband money will be very hard to come by. I hope you find a way to make it work out. In reading some of the responses from other readers I agree that GDL and PVR are definitely more promising in finding a jobs. For now take it one day at a time because it can become very stressful. My thoughts are with you amiga.
Gracias Trinidad. Yea I think that PVR or GDL could work for us the problem is just being able to get there. I think that taking it "one day at a time" is the only way to go from now on.
Post a Comment