So yesterday I went in for my last day at the dentist before I leave for Mexico. I have been very lucky that I have decent teeth and have only had two cavities in my whole life. The only problem was that all four of my wisdom teeth were present and since I had braces they needed to come out as to not mess up all the money my parents put into my mouth. Last year I had the two lower wisdom teeth pulled but, I had been put to sleep. Only two could be pulled at the time because of insurance reasons. I had planned to pull out the other two teeth with the same surgeon but that the dentist I worked for offered to do them for free YEAH!!, only catch was I would be WIDE AWAKE. He has been wanting to get a hold of me to do this for over a year. I am the biggest chicken though and so scared of the shot. ( you may be thinking how could I be an assistant to these kind of procedures and not be able to go through it myself, but it is totally different when you are the one laying in the chair) Since I have been an assistant for around four years I know how the whole procedure would play out down to what instrument he would need, which I could not decide if that was making me feel better or worse about the situation.
I will be leaving in two weeks, so the time had come it needed to get done. Because of working in the field I knew that the upper teeth are much easier to deal with than the lowers and I trusted that he would take care of me. I tried my best not to think about it all week and ate my breakfast the morning of so I would not get sick from the nervousness. You would not believe that the whole procedure took around 25 min not to mention he fit a cleaning in there also, so no need to worry about that for another 6mo - year. There was surprisingly not as much pain as I thought and it was not to bad being awake because everything went pretty smooth besides all the pressure. All in all the day was not to bad no work, relaxing on the couch watching TV, and another plus I'm hoping this soft food diet will help me out on my weight loss. : ) So glad that it is done and over with though.
Any one have any interesting stories about your visit to the dentist?

8 comments:
Wow! I can't imagine getting it done while awake. You're brave!
I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out at 15... then at 21 I had my 4 back molars removed because they were crowding my mouth.
Thanks. I made it to be much worse in my head than it actually was but my mom was in the room with me and said she almost had to walk out and that she would never do it awake.
You must have a very tiny mouth to get that many teeth out. I thought getting out 4 was bad I could not imagine 8.
Yikes! You are very brave. I was put to sleep for my wisdom teeth and I ask for Valium before any dentist appointment. Take care of yourself while they heal up!
I have no fears of doctors, needles, blood, or other medical instruments, but I HATE going to the dentist. I have a root canal scheduled in early April and I'm trying to calm the anxiety. Hoping they knock me out. Glad yours was not traumatic!
Lisa, once again I admire you! I'm 41 and I'm sooo afraid of getting a shot in my gums. I still have my wisdom teeth, but they haven't pushed through. I don't know if dentists here knock you out or just give you a shot. I kind of think they do the shot thing. It's interesting how mention feeling "pressure." Pressure still hurts and is extremely uncomfortable. Anyway, good for you that you got it over with and you only have two more weeks until you're in Mexico. Is this going to be a visit or is it the big move?
@Cheryl, LOL Thanks. I was lucky all I needed was some advil after but it did suck being on a liquid diet for the weekend.
@Leah. I know you are scared but being a dental assistant the thing I can tell you is that the sooner you know you need the root canal get it done. The procedure is actually not that bad as long as there is no infection it is just like getting a filling or a crown. The bad experiences happen when people wait to long after they have been warned and get an infection. The infection blocks the anesthetic if its not treated. If everything is clear than it should be fine. Hope that did not scare you even more:( and Hope everything goes smooth for you. Let me know. Take care.
@Jackie,I know what you mean the shot is the worst for me too. All my wisdom teeth were fully erupted so it was a little easier getting them taken out. I think after a certain period of time for girls, maybe early 20's if the wisdom teeth dont erupt they most likely wont but if they are bothering you now maybe you should get an x-ray just in case so you feel better knowing that is not the problem. It could be something else like sinus problems or grinding your teeth at night?
Yes this is going to be the big move, I will just be coming back for visits now. I am really excited I just feel bad for Javier and how we are starting out but at least now we will be able to figure it out together.
Hola Lisa! goodness it reminds me for sure that I need to go to the dentist and I hope my experience will be a good one!
I can hardly wait to hear about your big move!
@ Linda, Hola. Thanks for following my journey. I hope you have a good experience at the dentist too when the time comes.
Post a Comment