After yesterdays post I have been thinking of ways to help out Javier and his family and make a little extra money. I was trying to figure out something I can do to help out in the store that his parents own which is attached to the house, they sell snacks, refrescos, beer, pan Dulce, household things and toiletries etc. I wanted to do something I enjoy and actually know how to do. First thought Baking Cakes.
Ever since I was little my mom always made these huge cakes for everyone birthdays or she would charge people outside of the family and make these beautiful cakes. ( she used to work at cocos and loved baking). These were not little cakes, they were huge. She could have easily opened up a shop and been very successful but she always said that she was too scared to mess up somebody's order. Well lucky me I learned from the best. She taught me all her secrets to make this big, beautiful, Delicious cakes and I actually enjoy baking so I have kind of taken over for making them.
I have posted some pictures of some of the cakes I have made in the last year and wanted to see what you girls thought of them. I was wondering if I had any shot of actually selling and making money with these cakes in Mexico. Most people only spend money on what is necessary so I am a little hesitant. What do you think?
![]() |
| This was a white cake mix with fresa y pina filling. One of my favs. |
![]() |
| This was for my nephews b-day. Chocolate, Chocolate & more Chocoalte! |
![]() |
| This was for my stepsons b-day last year. I will be making another next week. |
![]() |
| This was the biggest cake I have ever made. It was for my cunadas baby shower last year! Also filled with fresa y pina!! mmmmmmm |
![]() |
| I threw this one in for fun because I actually made it for my primos baby shower last year, but it is made out of diapers. |





12 comments:
Hi Lisa! Those cakes look awesome!
I can't speak for your part of Mexico, but here in Cancun people always buy specialty cakes for kids bdays :) Definitely a promising venture.
@gringationcancun. Thanks! Thats the only thing Im worried about, where we are is not a big tourist town. If we ever moved to GDl im sure I would have better luck starting something.
They are awesome. I live in a small town and have been to quite a few kids parties and they always have theme cakes. Usually huge one as it seems there are tons of people always. I think you have a good chance of selling them. I thinks the important thing is the intial starting out. People seem to rely heavly on word of mouth and recomendations from friends.
Oh, and i have been to two baby showers here and they had diaper cakes.
Yummy!! You could make a book with this pictures to show to potential costumers and offer samples at the store on a couple of saturdays and see what happens. You can tell people that you'll personalize the cakes and have them spread the word. Advertise them as party cakes, not only for birthdays but for baptisms and other special dates too.I really think it can work out! Moms always spend money on their tots.
@ Rebecca. Thank you and I agree it will be a little tricky starting off and that it is all word of mouth. Aren't those diaper cakes so cute. I'll admit it was alot for the diapers but I had to try it.
@Cecilia. Thanks and great idea about the photo book. I did not even think about that, I will have to make one before I go back.
Lisa--those are wonderful! And if you're working out of your house and your in-laws' abarrotes store, you've got very little overhead costs to worry about. And with traffic in and out of the abarrotes, you've got a great, free place to advertise.
It sounds like you've got nothing to lose with this idea! Good luck!
I think your cakes are fabulous and I like Cecilia's idea of the book and samples.
Wow you have talent! Where I will be living in Mexico there is only one lady who makes cakes in the whole ranch but everyone goes to her and only her. I think even though where you live may be small once you gain momentum there is no telling what you could do. Good luck!
@Jill Thanks. Yea I will be counting on those customers that they already have.
@Barb. Well Thank you very much.
@Trinidad. Gracias. I saw about 3 bakeries in the town but they are not close to the house they are in the center of town. I think I would have the only one in the colonia so that would help.
Wow! Your cakes are great! People here do spend money on cakes. Yours are unique and they look big. Good luck! On another note, my sister and I have always wanted to have a "tiendita" but she would joke around and tell everyone we couldn't because I would eat all the candy and chips and drink all the soda.
Jackie, LOL I can relate. I think if I had some kind of shop or bakery I would snack on everything too. And thats good to know that people do spend money on their cakes. Does you sister live in the states or mexico?
Post a Comment