Favorite Photos

Thursday, September 8

You cant have Hot chocolate without the bolillo!!

I went into the kitchen the other night to make some Hot chocolate and Javis dad mentioned to me why was I making it because there were no bolillos in the store that I could eat with it. UMM.... I was just thinking I wanted some hot chocolate because it was cold outside. I had no intention of including a bolillo in this.

Before we came to Mexico sometimes Javi would bring up things like this saying, I could not have one item without the other (example: I could not eat a tamale without a glass of milk) or that I could not mix two items together because it was just not right. Most of the time I just ignored him and ate whatever I wanted, but now that I am here living with his family I see where this problem has come from. Also all the "Mexican food" that I loved in the states is usually not the kind that you will find living here. (Enchiladas are just not the same, quesadillas can be to different items here and I dont think I have ever seen a burrito or chicken taco/ sandwhich)

I remember my grandparents taking us to Olvera St in L.A. when I was younger and we loved ordering the taquitos and huge bean and cheese burritos. I had taken Javi there one day and he did not like it at all. He said that it was not real Mexican food that he was used to and that he did not eat burritos because that was just too much food for one tortilla. What??? I was so bummed and amazed, that was the first time I have ever heard someone say that. That was when I started to notice his problems and obsessions with the way he ate his food.

Like most things here there is a tradition to doing everything and when someone brings up something different it just doesnt fly. I am lucky that Javi had spent enough time in the states that he was more open to trying different thing but now that we are here it is like all that weirdness is coming back. Another example: the other day we went to pick up some tacos de manteca ( I know sounds really bad, but sooo good) and I was eating it with a glass of agua de limon and his mom went on and on about how it would taste so much better with a coke or refresco. I try not to listen to his family most of the time because while I am thinking they are weird for having to have things a certain way they are most likely thinking the same thing about me, how can she eat those tacos with water.

There are many types of foods here that I have learned go great with other things, but that is not going to change my mind about anything, I am going to eat whatever I want anyway. Back to the first story that night I learned that they eat the hot chocolate with a bolillo and a plate of frijoles. It was definetley a great combination but I did not magically get tunnel vision and now cant just have a cup of hot chocolate. I am so glad that I have never been one to care about what people think, otherwise I think many things would be a lot harder to deal with here.

So here is to eating a big fat burrito, a chicken sandwhich, cheesy enchilada, and some real chocolate when I get back to the states!!!

Anyone else have any weird stories or encounters with food and your husbands you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.

8 comments:

Estrellita said...

Arturo is Mexican. I am not. I eat beans, tortillas, and anything with chile. He eats turkey sandwiches and Caesar salads. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have never seen a burrito in Mexico!!

Can't think of any required combinations at the moment, but I'm not allowed to eat any watermelon or drink agua de sandia in the evenings... something about the juice fermenting in your stomach overnight? I dunno. (and if you combine watermelon and beer you'll die or something)

And Coke goes with everything in Mexico ;) My in-laws always have a 2-liter bottle of Coke on the table.

Trinidad said...

lol I know what you are saying! With me I can't seem to grasp eating pan con coca. Where my husband is from that is the thing to do and I'm like nooo pan con leche is the way its supposed to be. Oh well everybody has there preferences :)

Anonymous said...

In El Salvador it is tamales with coffee. I made the error of serving my guests tamales with fresco (it was hot out) my husband came into the kitchen and told me that is not acceptable, that they had to be served coffee with the tamales. Being close to 100 degrees outside I thought this was ridiculous but obliged, what the hell do I know? My guests seemed relieved when I replaced their refrescos with hot coffee. Live and Learn

Unknown said...

I can't think of anything except, coffee with pan. I drink coffee 24/7 so, if I ate pan everytime, I would weigh 300 lbs!! LOL

Unknown said...

Estrellita, Thanks sharing and stopping by, hope you dont mind I also joined in on your blog. That is funny, I love mexican food and always want chile on everything and here his family tells me dont eat so much because its so bad for you.

Laura, I have heard the watermelon stories before too. Everyone back home thinks it is just weird that I have never seen a burrito here. lol

Trinidad,Hola Amiga. Javi says that he used to eat pan con coca too. I think I will stick with pan con leche also.

Rubireyes,Thanks for stopping by, just started following you also if thats ok. I agree that would be ridiculous in that heat. No matter what there is always the same beliefs here.

Stephanie, I know what you mean, I have had to stay away from any type of bread since I have been here, that is how I gained all the weight when I first started dating Javi.

Jackie said...

Good for you Lisa that you eat whatever you want and however you want. I can totally relate to being told similiar things and I just blow them off. I think "burritos" are an American addition to Mexican food. But, boy are they good!

Unknown said...

Right? I love my burritos.