Favorite Photos

Tuesday, February 8

Lavantamiento del Nino Dios

 
This last saturday night Javier and I found out that we were going to be the Padrinos of the Lavantamiento del Nino Dios. I had no idea what this meant but I usually say yes to everything. So the Nino Dios is placed in the Nativity around christams and then I think some time in January or right after christmas you are supposed to do this. So we were a little behind! Javier said that we had to wake the baby Jesus up and then put him back to sleep and the padrinos from last year had to bring gifts like the 3 kings did to the baby Jesus. My suegra took the Nino Dios (Baby Jesus) out of the Nativity set and they changed the clothes, then they put him on a dish surrounded with candy. 





 After the clothes were changed  Javier had to hold a candle and ring a bell,  and I had to carry the baby Jesus around to each person so they could kiss the head or cheek of the baby. After you kissed the baby you could grab a piece of candy.
                         My brother in law Joni and his girlfriend esmeralda.                   .



Javiers mom kissing the Nino Dios.

After Javier and I walked around the room my brother in law and his girlfriend did the same thing. We each did this twice and after, the Padrinos from last year had to hand out little goody bags filled with candy, fruit, juice, and Duros. They made these little goody bags that were so cute. I found out after that we would have to make our own goody bags or gifts for next year. I am so excited already, I wanted to start making them the next day. I am really enjoying getting to know all the traditions they have here in Mexico and cant wait till the next holiday comes around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I would have wanted to start making the little gift bags the next day too. I wish that I was being more exposed to the wonderful and many traditions Mexico has. Sounds like it was fun!

Jackie said...

What an interesting tradition! It looks like you really enjoyed it too!