Favorite Photos

Thursday, May 3

The cards have been dealt

I have been here for almost two weeks now and it took a little over a week for me to stop looking for moscos 24/7.  It has been great catching up with friends and spending time with my family but, it does not feel the same to me anymore. Coming back to the home that me and Javi thought we would be starting our lives in. For the most part I try not to let it bug me but it makes me sad sometimes.  I am so grateful that my mom and dad are taking care of it for us and that we had a place for them to go when they lost their own home, but.....

Besides that it took me awhile to get used to doing things around here again, the American way. Taking a shower with hot water without having to wait for the boiler to heat up, and how powerful the water came out like a massage( Not so hard to get used to). Doing laundry, washed and dried in less than an hour (nice if you are in a hurry), but doing laundry is one thing I don't mind doing, weird I know, but I love hanging my clothes up on the line.

I have to say I was so excited to go out shopping every day and eat fast food. I have been out shopping a few days my first week and purchased things that were needed for my trip back for us and the family, but then I would put stuff back and feel guilty for wanting to buy things I  really don't need. I have been living without all this "stuff" for the last five months. It kind of took the fun out of it knowing that I would be spending all this money and Javi is back home working everyday and trying to save what little he is making. It was great going in to walmart and target, but it is all the same, everything is so commercialized. Every store looks the same, has the same products and I have to say I have only eaten fast food 2 or 3 times. I have not had a craving for anything since I have been here. My favorite used to be spicy chicken sandwiches from jack, I have not stopped at a Jack in the box once since I arrived.

My last little rant, the traffic. Oh how I did not missing driving here in the 24/7 traffic. It is horrible, it takes twice as long to get somewhere as it should and the drivers.  I know people are bad in Mx and mostly because they are not taught like we are. Here is a whole different story. We are showed what is right and wrong, courtesy and road rules. Knowing this it just pisses me off even more because people are so rude and have no common sense or courtesy. I have been in almost three accidents since I have been here just because people think they own the road and everything else.

I know I am very lucky to have been born in this country, for all the freedoms I have had, the luxuries, trips I have taken with my family and I am very grateful. Even knowing this I am also very thankful for this new life I have been led to. Somewhere were I can appreciate all that I had growing up, but to find out that I did not need everything I once thought I did, and that there are more important things in life than what I once believed. I never once in my life thought that I would be living in another state, let alone another country. I never wanted to look at this change as a bad thing, and I still don't. I think all these life changes and lessons are only turning me into a better person. These are the cards that have been dealt and I want / have to believe its gonna be a good hand.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't remember how long you have been going back and forth. But, for me, I have been living here for 4 years in Mexico. I go back once a year for about 4 weeks.

When I first did the visits, it was hard, like you are saying. Because you still think about what it was like, what Javi can't experience, and so on.

Let me tell you, the more times you go back, the more you will like it. At least, that is my experience.

It was really hard at first. I didn't want to be social, even though I missed my friends. Everything reminded me of my husband. But, now, I LOVE going back. My husband, while he still desparately can't wait to go back himself, he has come to terms with it.

So, I gather up goodies that will make him a bit happy, make my life a little easier, and stock up on things that I can't find down here.

I'm sure with time, it will get easier, if you continue your visits.

Just have fun! Soon you will be back to your "own" life and things will keep on keepin' on!

Unknown said...

Thanks Val, I do like coming back for visits its just some days are easier than others you know. It has been a little under two years and like you said I dont know how many more visits there will be in the future so I want to get as much out of them as I can. Thanks for the kinds words and encouragment :)

Lauren said...

Ah so relatable... Lol @ the moscos! I forgot what it felt like to have screens on my windows.

I haven't craved fast food at all. It's so unappealing! I miss eggs, beans and tortillas for breakfast every morning... I eat so light now because nothing sounds good.

I know what you mean about trips back and how they will stop eventually. I'm trying my best to savor everything about Ohio and live my moments like my last. It's nice here, but I miss Mexico a ton.

Hope you have a good time :)

Ps, I hadn't seen before, but where are you from in the US?

I'm the Mami said...

I felt the same way, and I was only back for a week! And I have only been here in MX for four months. Funny how quickly people adapt and get used to a new way of life.

Im glad that you are able to go back and see friends and family. Even if it is a bit of a culture shock and missing Javi so much. I hope the rest of your trip goes well!

Unknown said...

Lauren, I am from So Cal. Yea I miss all those foods also. I am so used to eating at home that fast food just doesnt sound appealing. How long are you planning on being in the states this visit, it is gonna be a longer one right?

Mami, Last time I had a hard time going back to Mx from here and now its the other way around. I guess I will just always be a little off balance lol.

Anonymous said...

I almost cried reading this for some reason, mainly the part about shopping, because you put it into words I couldn't find.

When I lived in the US, I LOVED shopping. Even my first few years in Mexico, I'd spend spend spend on clothes whenever I went back to the US. Now that I've lived in Mexico awhile, I no longer get excited about shopping. The US malls just overwhelm me and scare me a little. I like new clothes, but the experience of buying them isn't much fun anymore.

I'm not sure if it's a cultural change, or the fact that I now wear a work uniform 5 days a week! Maybe if we had a Target in Cancun, I'd change my mind haha

Unknown said...

Oh no dont cry. Yea it is kind of hard to explain to my family how I feel because I know they might not understand. I dont know if I am not used to it anymore or I dont care. It was just a little disapointing I guess?

Jackie said...

How the simple things in life such as "good water pressure" make us happy. When I went back to Cali in December, I loved taking a super hot shower at my parent's house, because as you said, it's like a massage.

Enjoy your time with your family. Both the States and Mexico have their pros and cons. Take the good and leave the rest. :)

Anonymous said...

I love hanging the clothes on the line too Lisa. I don't think I would ever want a dryer again.
All of what you say in this post is probably why I don't ever go back. I think it would be too painful for me having to leave my husband behind and I wouldn't be able to truly enjoy the things that I miss so much.

Unknown said...

Jackie, Thank you for the advice. I will definetly take it to heart :)

Rubi, it is very hard enjoying things that you once enjoyed together with your other half, now alone.

Unknown said...

I haven't been "back" in the states since June of last year. Except for the few hours I spent in Laredo buyinhg a few things before I crossed back in to renew our permits.
I wonder what I am going to feel like this time. We are not planning on going until July the earliest. I like you did, miss the fast food, the wonderful shower heads, and the shopping. I get a lot of this in Monterrey but, it is not the same. So, we will see.

Did you get a new computer?

Unknown said...

Stephanie, yea I did this past week. Its so shiny and pretty and has lots of new gadgets.
It is hard and weird being back, more things are more convienent here but you get used to doing this a certain way you know.

Tara said...

Very interesting to read how you are feeling about being back in the states. I'm sure you very much feel like a part of Mexico now. The awesome thing is that you are able to come and visit. Like Jackie said, You can enjoy the good and leave the bad (in both places). I see myself as the type who would immerse herself in her new surroundings. (not sure, but I think that is how I would be) So, I can imagine how you must feel. Enjoy your time in the states. You'll be back home to hubby soon!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tara. It has for sure grown on me and now that I am back it feels like I never left.